About 48 percent of Australian adults suffer from sleep-related disorders, which increases the risk of chronic health conditions. Hence, choosing a mattress is a significant decision that can affect your sleep quality and overall health. The mattress must provide the proper support and comfort for your body type and sleeping preferences. When considering Australian made mattresses make sure you know everything to choose the mattress that meets your specific needs. Read the following section of the article to make an informed decision.
Know Your Sleeping Style
About 4 in 10 Australian adults don’t get good quality sleep, and often the reason is not paying attention to the sleeping style and choosing the mattress accordingly. The way you sleep can influence the type of mattress that will be the most comfortable for you. There are three main sleeping styles: back, side, and stomach. Each style has its unique pressure points and requirements for support.
- Back Sleepers: Back sleepers need ample support to the lower back and spine. A medium-firm mattress with a supportive core is ideal for this sleeping style.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers need pressure relief on the hips and shoulders. Look for a mattress that offers a plush comfort layer and good contouring.
- Stomach Sleepers: Stomach sleepers need to keep the spine aligned and prevent lower back pain. A medium-firm mattress with a supportive core is recommended.
Consider Your Body Type and Weight
Your body type and weight can also influence the mattress that is most comfortable for you. When a mattress is too soft or firm can cause discomfort and pain in certain body parts.
- Lightweight Sleepers: Lightweight sleepers (less than 130 pounds) typically prefer a softer mattress that conforms to their body shape and relieves pressure.
- Average Weight Sleepers: Average-weight sleepers (130-230 pounds) typically prefer a medium-firm mattress that provides a balance of support and comfort.
- Heavyweight Sleepers: Heavyweight sleepers (over 230 pounds) typically require a firmer mattress that provides adequate support and prevents sinking.
Firmness and Support
The firmness and support of your Australian made mattresses can be crucial in determining your sleep quality and comfort. Firmness refers to the feel, while support refers to how well the mattress keeps the spine aligned.
- Firmness: Mattress firmness is rated on a scale of 1-10, with one being the softest and ten being the firmest. Choose a firmness level based on your sleeping style and body type.
- Support: Look for a mattress that provides adequate support to keep the spine aligned. A supportive mattress should maintain its shape and provide even support throughout the surface.
Material and Construction
The materials and construction of a mattress play a significant role in its quality, durability, and comfort. Here are some factors to consider:
- Comfort Layers: The comfort layer is the mattress’s top layer that provides cushioning and pressure relief. Look for a comfort layer in high-quality materials like latex or memory foam.
- Support Core: The support core is the layer beneath the comfort layer that provides the majority of the mattress’s support. Look for a support core made of high-density foam or pocketed coils.
- Cover Material: The cover material should be breathable, durable, and easy to clean.
Selecting the right mattress is crucial for achieving restful and rejuvenating sleep. A high-quality mattress is an investment in your health and well-being, as it can improve the quality of your sleep and reduce the risk of pain and discomfort. With so many options available, taking your time and making an informed decision that will benefit you for years to come is crucial.